Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hoffmann of the Month: June


"Hoffmann of the Month"* has been a feature of my blog for two years now. Amazingly, it's taken me this long to honor someone who shares my first name as well. Former astronaut Jeff Hoffman is June's Hoffmann of the Month!

Dr. Hoffman is likely the most impressive recipient I've ever honored on my blog. Check out his credentials! (The space stuff there seems to be copied directly from his official NASA bio.) He's clearly a highly intelligent, interesting, and accomplished man. And in his glory days he had one heck of a mustache.

But the main reason I chose to profile Hoffman this month--today is National Yo-Yo Day (not to be confused with National YOLO Day, which for me is practically every day. YOLO!), and Jeffrey once displayed some slick zero gravity yo-yoing on the Shuttle Atlantis! Check it out:
   
As if that wasn't cool enough, he also celebrated Chanukah in space with some nifty dreidel spinning (though out there it seems like it would be impossible to figure out who won the chocolate coins).
Visit Jewish.TV for more Jewish videos.

I look forward to learning more about this fascinating scientist (though I'll likely always think of him as the guy who brought toys into space). He's a great man with a great name, a very worthy Hoffmann of the Month. Congrats, Jeff!

*Named that way so it encompasses all Hofmans, Hoffmans, Hofmanns, and Hoffmanns.

1 comment: