Sunday, August 7, 2011

Food for thought



Today is the first Sunday of the month, which means it's "fast Sunday" for Mormons. That means we binge on the first Saturday of the month, so we won't get super hungry while we fast. It's probably not the best way to follow the principle of fasting, but it's what we do ("we" meaning me and probably at least one other person).

So yesterday, at the recommendation of my friend (and faithful blog-reader!) Billy, I got my pre-fast meal from Grove Market. I had a huge pastrami sandwich, and it was pretty good--certainly better than the other big deli sandwich I had this week.

Last Sunday, my dad gave me the leftovers of a big sandwich he had apparently been working on for several days, a "souvenir" from an extended family get-together. It reminded me of this great Simpsons moment, although he had at least been keeping it in the fridge, so the mayonnaise was not yet rancid. (The video is in Spanish; to read the original sandwich-related dialogue, go here then here then here.)



Speaking of fasting and eating "unclean" things...this week's Sunday School lesson covers the vision of the apostle Peter, where he saw a bunch of animals that were considered ceremonially unclean by the Jews (hence the video at the top of the post). God tells Peter that he has cleansed the animals, and this vision helps Peter to understand that the gospel is to be spread to the Gentiles as well as the Jews. Here's the link for this week's study guide material.

Since I'm getting this posted too late for you to read much scripture before class, instead I'll give you one more classic "dirty food" video.

What's the weirdest/grossest thing you've ever eaten?

3 comments:

  1. Once while I was in college, my friend and dipped potato chips in a mixture of corn and cream of mushroom soup. It was so nasty and my friend and I had the worst stomachaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nasty.

    Were you there at Travis and Casey's the time I dipped orange chicken in chocolate fondue? Also not good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pig ear. Hair still on it. TMI?

    Pure nast!

    ReplyDelete