Saturday, January 21, 2012

Feed the flock

The subtitle of The Book of Mormon is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ." However, the name Christ does not appear until page 78, and "Jesus" shows up for the first time on page 99. The Savior is referenced constantly in the earlier pages, by names like Messiah, Redeemer, Son of God, and more.

The name used most often to refer to Christ at the beginning of the Book of Mormon is probably the Lamb of God. This week's Sunday School lesson covers just three chapters, but in those three the name Lamb or Lamb of God is used 43 times! There's not a lot of time left before class tomorrow, but do what you can to study up. You won't regret it.

I think about lambs and sheep more at this time of year than at any other, probably. (Or, to put it more accurately and to paraphrase Homer Simpson when trying to convince Lisa to keep eating meat, at this time of year I think about lamb, not a lamb.) And that's because we're rapidly approaching Burns Night, the time of year when people are most likely to eat haggis!

Most of you have probably heard of haggis, thanks to Groundskeeper Willie or Harriet, the hard-hearted harbinger of haggis. You probably know it as a weird, mysterious food. But most of you have no idea what it actually is. Well, here's Willie again to explain it:



Need it simplified even further? Here you go.


(Thanks to my coworker Morgan for the image.)

I'll admit that haggis doesn't sound particularly appetizing, but it does taste good. It's similar in texture to meatloaf or scrapple, and it's usually a little spicy.  I would encourage any non-vegetarian to try it at least once before judging it. As I said, it's good, but I wouldn't say it's great, and I'm fine with it being just a once-a-year food, especially since in the U.S., haggis is expensive, and you can pretty much only get it in a can.

But this is that once a year, and I'm excited. I'll be hosting a Burns Supper for the first time ever when my dinner group comes over on Wednesday night, complete with kilts (if I can still squeeze into mine), poetry, bagpipe music, and of course, haggis. I'll hopefully be able to apply enough peer pressure to get everyone to try it. Check back next week for pictures.

I'm happy to be able to educate the masses about the wonders of Scottish culture, especially haggis. The downside: I won't be able to trick anyone who reads this into thinking the haggis is actually a small animal, with one set of legs longer than the other so it can run around the Scottish highlands (only in one direction, of course) without falling over.

It's surprising how many people believe this. The haggis is basically the snipe of Scotland; you can always find a sucker willing to go on a haggis hunt, or at least look for them online. People are so gullible. Just like sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment