Monday, January 2, 2012

Hoffmann of the Month: January


German painter Heinrich Hofmann is the inaugural "Hoffmann of the Month" for 2012!

The main reason for this posthumous honor: I'll be mentioning the Book of Mormon frequently on the ol' blog this year, and a detail of Hofmann's Christ and the Rich Young Ruler is included in every copy of the Book of Mormon given away by LDS missionaries (or at least it used to be--haven't picked up a free copy in a while, but I don't think they've updated the pictures recently).

The original painting currently hangs in the Riverside Church, which I lived right next to the first time I went to New York. So that's also cool.

Aside from that, there's not much of interest in the brief details of Hofmann's life covered in a couple of online biographies I read. But he was certainly very talented, and deserving of this month's award. Congratulations, Heinrich!

No comments:

Post a Comment