Saturday, April 14, 2012

It's all about the Jeffersons

Easter has come and gone, and that means, among other things, that I now have a $2 bill in my possession. My family has a strange obsession with the Thomas Jefferson-fronted currency. One of my great-aunts used to give them out every Christmas, one of my uncles used to send one to each niece and nephew on their birthdays, and every year there's a plastic egg containing a folded-up bill in my Easter basket. (Yes, the Easter Bunny is a Hofmann. Didn't know that, did you?) It's kind of a silly tradition, but I really look forward to it. If I ever got my basket Easter morning, and there was no money egg, I would totally go all Better Off Dead on everybody.

As far as I can recall, every $2 bill I've ever received has been fresh and crisp. Apparently a good number of them have been put in circulation in recent years, but this crispness was especially impressive during the great $2 bill famine of the 1990s. My relatives must horde them somewhere.

My cousin Rachel likes to keep her Jeffersons, but the sentimentality eventually wears off for me, and I spend them. Fortunately, I've never had any issues when doing so, whether comical or more serious.

So this post is all about the Jeffersons, and "Lazy Sunday" is all about the Hamiltons, but this week's Sunday School lesson is all about the Benjamins. King Benjamin, that is. He was just like Thomas Jefferson, in that the leaders who came before and after him had the same name (Mosiah vs. John and John Q. Adams, if you conveniently omit Madison and Monroe). So don't be lazy this Sunday--come to class having read the assigned chapters. It's the best way to get your money's worth (speaking of spiritual $2 bills, of course).

[In case you're new to the blog...this is my weekly BASOTRUSSL post, which, of course, stands for Blog About Something Only Tangentially Related to the Upcoming Sunday School Lesson.]

2 comments:

  1. My grandpa did the same thing! We would always get $2 bills for Christmas from him. I actually saved mine for years...in a SCRAPBOOK! They are just COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on one of those East Coast tours in junior high and got $2 bills to buy food with. We all thought they were so cool and, yes, there were times I didn't want to spend them but keep them tucked away forever. :)

    ReplyDelete