Tuesday, May 1, 2012

All about peeves

I'm a pretty laid back guy. I don't get too stressed out or bothered by most things. But I'm not perfect. Here are a few things that have annoyed me lately:

--People misspelling the word lightning as "lightening."

--People posting a quote or a picture or a meme or whatever on Facebook, then someone comments with something like "I'm totally stealing this!" At least 99% of the time, the first person already "stole" it from someplace else, so it's not really stealing. In fact, there's a "Share" button right there. Right there! Why does everyone want to steal instead of sharing?

--People who head up to the stand too early to say a prayer in sacrament meeting. This is a three-pronged pet peeve: it bothers me that they are (or assume that the congregation is) so impatient that it would be horrible to have a five- or even 20-second gap between the end of the song and the beginning of the prayer; it annoys me that their hastiness puts the chorister and and accompanist in an awkward position, forced to decide between folding their arms or preventing their books from flopping all over the place; but most of all it drives me crazy how bad so many people are at gauging when to go up.

Most people who try to time it so they arrive at the podium just as the hymn ends do a very poor job of it. How long do they think the walk actually is? Or how short do they think that last verse is? Even if you're bent on stepping up to the mic just as the prayer ends, you probably don't need to start clambering over people in your pew until the last two or three measures of the hymn. You definitely don't need to make your way up front during the third verse of a four-verse hymn.

That's all I can think of for now. If you've ever been guilty of any of these behaviors, I don't dislike you or consider you a bad person. It's just that you do annoying things.

What are some of your pet peeves?

No comments:

Post a Comment