Wednesday, May 16, 2012

For mature audiences only

I have stake conference this weekend, which means that if you're NOT having stake conference then you're on your own to find supplemental materials for your Sunday School preparation. However, if you're looking for some church-based jokes and puns, check out this classic post from my old blog, featuring my favorite title that I've ever come up with.

Every six months when stake conference comes around, it gives me a chance to point out how weird it sounds to me when the Saturday night meeting is called the "adult session." It makes it sound like illicit things will be going down, stuff that's not appropriate for the young.

General Conference does not have adults only sessions. In fact, I have memories of teenagers giving short talks in the Priesthood session of conference a few times when I was 12 or 13. Unfortunately, there is no record of this in the archives of those early '90s sessions. Can anyone out there corroborate my memory?

While we're on the subject of leave-the-kids-home Saturday night events...at work my team uses a website called Yammer, which allows us to collaborate while working remotely. We also use it to entertain each other, including the creation of "Kitten Friday," where we all post funny cat pictures and video links. Last week I decided to extend the festivities to "Caturday," and came up with the following:

"Tonight, Saturday Night Live will be hosted by Will Ferrell, with musical guest Usher. Should be a good episode. But I'm more excited for tonight's episode of SNL's sister show, Caturday Nine Lives. Will Feral will host with musical guest Cheshire.

Oh, you haven't heard of Caturday Nine Lives? Well, CNL has been around even longer than SNL. On its debut episode in the '60s, Simon and Garfield-unkel performed a memorable rendition of "Feline Groovy." Since then, they've welcomed all the big names from the world of cats, like Cat Stevens and Cat Deeley. Just like with SNL, looking over the archives of Caturday Nine Lives can be quite humorous: Tawny Kitaen and Kitty Dukakis both hosted multiple times, and the musical acts have included such forgettable bands as Pantera, Glass Tiger, White Lion, and Cat Power.

Many recurring SNL sketches were ripped off from CNL, including Laser Cats, Toonces (the cat who can drive a car!), and of course, "It's Pat," the human version of "It's Cat," in which neighborhood kittens struggle to figure out if a new cat is a tom or a queen. "Coneheads" began on CNL as the comical exploits of cats forced to wear those protective neck cones. Cat Foley was a motivational meower who lived in a van down by the litter. But the most egregious example was the original SNL cast performing their "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger" sketches--such a shabby adaptation of I Can Has Cheezburger.

Commercials like Litter Critters and Eych are original SNL creations. It is believed that the creators of Caturday Nine Lives don't like them, but it's hard to tell for sure because, you know, they're cats."


If you got even half of the above SNL references, let me know--I got a Saturday Night Live board game for my birthday and I want to play it with you! I'm available this Saturday night. You know, after the adult session.

4 comments:

  1. The adult session is one of my first conversations I had with you and will probably alter my thinking of the adult session forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a conference session from the 80s, when Holland was president of BYU, in which President Holland's then-teenaged son spoke during the priesthood session. I'd give you the date, but I'm too lazy to go back and try to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. my. awesome. I really did just laugh out loud! lolcats indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Joey. I found it--April 1983. I was definitely not in attendance at that conference, but it lends credence to my memories.

    ReplyDelete