Thursday, November 28, 2013

Spandex is a privilege


It's unlikely that anyone who reads my blog has not yet seen these pictures, but they deserve to be immortalized in this forum. I didn't think I would ever top my Colonel Sanders Halloween costume from 2010, but I think this Pillsbury Doughboy ensemble takes the cake. Or cookies. Or biscuits. When contemplating costume choices for Halloween, Doughboy has been a contender for the past several years, but I've always gone with an easier option. The costume turned out better than I ever hoped for. It's really the ideal choice for me--he's basically a roly-poly bundle of laughter and carbohydrates, and that suits me perfectly.

Speaking of suiting me perfectly...I just love that spandex bodysuit. Pretty much every costume shop, and many other retailers, sell some sort of full-body morph suit, but they're literally full-body---covering the head and everything. After much searching, I found an awesome Chinese company, Zentai-Zentai (proposed slogan: "because sometimes, one Zentai is not enough!) that sells custom suits. You can give them exact measurements of every part of your body, plus add a wide array of special options. I got one with a face aperture (the most important customization), detachable mittens, and a crotch zipper. And the price is quite reasonable, even with all the add-ons. I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't arrive in time, or that it would arrive and be not what I wanted (English is clearly not the primary language of the site operators), but everything worked out great.

It was a little tricky to get into--I thought I had torn it at one point--but once I got it over my shoulders, it was quite comfortable. And it was so freeing. I really enjoyed walking around in it, my big belly being an asset for once. I also loved not having pockets, which liberated me from having to worry about phone, wallet, or keys. I just had fun. Some friends and I made a brief cameo at the U of U Institute Dance to see costumes, have ours seen (I shamed another doughboy, who was basically just wearing a chef's hat and wrapped in a duvet), and check if people could resist poking my belly (many could not--after all, on Halloween one doesn't just dress as the Pillsbury Doughboy, they dress as Sexy Pillsbury Doughboy), then headed to Denny's, reviving one of my favorite Provo Halloween traditions. It was a great night.

The "Beware" on my friends' door (thanks for helping with my makeup, Jenny!) will make this last line a bit creepy, but...see you next Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment