Friday, October 21, 2011

I'm just like Brandon Flowers

Well, not just like him. Nobody ever told me, you had a boyfriend, who looked like a girlfriend, that I had in February of last year. But (as you know if you've been on the Internet at all this week), he's a Mormon, and so am I.

As are the vast majority of the people I interact with or that view this blog. But in most of the country and the world, Mormons are a small minority, so I'm always fascinated when a show or publication or website with national or international reach says something about Mormons. For a number of reasons, it's been happening much more in the last year or so than ever before.

And I love it. Even the ones that make jokes at our expense (partly because I'm a comedy/satire junkie, and am always excited--and even feel a little honored--when people take the time to do some research to make a joke that goes beyond the stale, predictable polygamy and Osmond stuff.)


Comments about "magic underwear" bother me a little, but for the most part I enjoy all of this stuff. I'm a proponent of the "any publicity is good publicity" philosophy.

You know what? So was Paul. While getting ready for this week's Sunday School lesson, I read this in his letter to the Philippians "some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will...the one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction...but the other of love...what then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice" (Philip. 1:15-18).

Whether people say good things or bad about my church, either way it brings more attention, and more and more of those who sincerely want to know the truth about God will be inclined to investigate further. I avoid getting preachy on my blog, mainly because those types of posts would seem strange juxtaposed with all of the fluffy and inconsequential things I usually write about. But if anyone (whether it's someone I know or if you randomly came across my blog) has questions about Mormons, ask away. There are much better resources available than me, but if you leave a question I'll do my best to answer it.

My name is Jeff. I'm an amateur writer and comedian, a lover of television and dessert, and I'm a Mormon.

1 comment:

  1. How very appropriate is this article for this posting?
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700173277/Mormon-comedians-find-success-staying-clean-in-an-industry-that-isnt.html

    ReplyDelete