Tuesday, February 14, 2012

We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

Most people think Isaiah's prophecies are mysterious and hard to understand. But this one is pretty clear to me:

Behold all ye that kindle fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks, walk in the light of your fire and in the sparks which ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand--ye shall lie down in sorrow.
It couldn't be more obvious. The prophet saw our day, when millions of people would be using their Kindle Fires to download Nicholas Sparks books, ultimately going to bed full of sorrow for having wasted so much time reading Dear John or The Last Song.

Perhaps I'm being unfair--after all, I've never read any of Mr. Sparks' novels. But I hear they're pretty emotionally manipulative and overly formulaic, that he's kind of the male equivalent of Stephenie Meyer.

I am familiar with some of his work, though. I've seen A Walk To Remember on video, and I will admit it exceeded my expectations, but said expectations were extremely low. (I passed on a chance to see it in theaters; it's a funny story, and I wrote about it once. You should check it out.)

Also, I haven't seen The Notebook, but I have lived it. Here's another old post, where I tell of when I found an old notebook in which I'd written a song for a girl, but never shared it with her. That post also includes the lyrics to a Valentine's Day parody I wrote to the tune of Alice Cooper's Feed My Frankenstein. How's that for serendipitous timing?

Once you're done reading my old work, since you won't be wasting time with Nicholas Sparks, go ahead and fire up the Kindle and read more teachings from Isaiah (and Nephi, and Jacob) to prepare for this week's Sunday School lesson.

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Total Eclipse of the Heart is my favorite song of all all all all time. I have won more than one karaoke contest with that song. And yes, I am really glad you led me to this ancillary resource. Bonnie Tyler and Isaiah all in one entry. MTB (Meant to be.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been catching up on your blog posts and this one really made me LOL. I think your interpretation of Isaiah in this instance is right on. The prophets of old really did see our day and warn us of this Nicholas Sparks web of deceit and lies. We must all pay attention!

    But really. I did read and see A Walk To Remember and Dear John. A Walk was not too bad in both book and movie form. Dear John was horrible in both forms but especially bad in book form. I got the paperback and read it on a trip. When I was done I gave it to a random girl at the airport who asked me about it not wanting anyone to spend anymore money on that franchise. The Dear John movie was only better than the book due to the fact that Tatum Channing Channing Tatum (that is what David calls him) was in it and everything that guy touches turns to gold. Not to mention Amanda Seyfried's hair is amazing.

    ReplyDelete