Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hoffmann of the Month: January


After a two-month hiatus, the Hoffmann of the Month feature is back! In late October/early November I got caught up in Halloween preparations and festivities, working extra hours due to Hurricane Sandy, and taking a trip to New York. I have no excuses for skipping December, I just didn't do it.

But this recurring feature is back in 2013 and hopefully better than ever. In case you've forgotten or are new to the blog, at the beginning of each month I spotlight a deserving Hofman, Hofmann, Hoffman, or Hoffmann. I like the "Hoffmann of the Month"'s inclusivity, but my favorites are always the Hofmanns--including January's honoree, Janell Burley Hofmann!

Janell has been in the news this week (including this Good Morning America article and video that gives her name as "Hoffman," but I'm going with her official website's spelling) because of a contract she created in conjunction with the iPhone she gave her 13-year-old son for Christmas. The contract stipulates when and where the phone can be used, warns against sexting and bullying, and more. It's really pretty ingenious. (Hence the above photos of Flo-Ho and J-Lo--they both appeared on the top row when I did a Google Image search for "cool smart mother." Plus they're a cheap ploy to drive blog traffic.)

In addition to being a caring and wise mom, Hofmann is a Huffington Post contributor, a crusader for womens' rights, and now, one of the most deserving Hoffmanns of the Month ever! Congratulations, Janell!

No comments:

Post a Comment