Saturday, October 5, 2013

Hoffmann of the Month: October



If you attended Fashion Week last month in New York City (what are you talking about, of course you did) and noticed a "gang of rainbow warriors" parading down the runway, that was the creation of Mara Hoffmann--October's "Hoffmann of the Month!"

Fashion designer Hoffman made the rainbow warrior reference in a backstage interview, where the diversity of her models was also noted. "The Sudanese girls are my muses," she said. "They rule my world." But apparently they don't rule the media's world, as the thumbnail above and the picture accompanying the article where I found these quotes feature blond, white women. Oh well.

I know practically nothing about fashion and even less about runway modeling, which I view as fake fashion (though Hoffman's designs admittedly seem much more like something people would actually wear in real life than most of what I've seen on TV), but apparently Hoffman was one of the (literal) bright spots of Fashion Week. Another writer described her collection as "a pick-me-up if ever there was one," "Technicolor tribal hippie chic on acid," and "a kaleidoscope of fun from a veritable patchouli Pucci." Well then.

The kaleidoscopic effect is certainly evident on Ms. Hoffman's official website. I'm not really in her target demographic, but if any of you buy any of her pieces and want to parade them in front of me, I'll applaud and take pictures.

Congratulations to Mara Hoffman, one of the most colorful Hoffmanns of the Month to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment