Thursday, July 7, 2011

Superfan Intervention

[Here is another of the weekly emails I sent my church congregation during the nine or so months I served as Sunday School president. I'll run another from the archives next week, thenhave all new material the following week. If you want to study what I'm studying this week, go here.

The following was written in late January, when Jimmer-mania was really starting to extend beyond Utah and infecting the entire nation. I chose to post this one now because Jimmer is less than a week away from winning "Best Male College Athlete" at the ESPYs. Go Jimmer!]


"I was at the BYU game last night. Back row of the Marriott Center, but
I was there. It was so loud and so fun. I understand I missed quite a
party at the Larsens as well.

I know there were others from our ward who made the trek down to Provo
for the big game. One in particular who I know had a much better seat
than me is Trent Boulter. Trent's gaining celebrity status as a Cougar
superfan. Check out the body of evidence (thanks to Matt Piccolo for
posting these on the ward Facebook group).

Pretty impressive, no? Trent, I admire your passion, and am in
complete agreement with you on the team and superduperstar you have
chosen to support. But I feel compelled to urge you to be careful. It
is possible for superfandom to spin out of control.

I know of which I speak. Exhibit A: this poster (invoking Trent's
granddaddy, no less) I made while living in New York for the girl I
liked at the time, who was competing in the finals of the stake ping
pong tournament.


We did end up going on one date, but shortly after she moved to
Seattle. She says it was for grad school, but the conspiracy theorist
in me says she wanted to get as far away from me as possible.

A bigger cautionary tale is the story of Rainbow Man, the original
superfan. Read about him here.

Weird, eh? So Trent, keep doing what you do. Just try not to go crazy.

The four of you who are still reading at this point are probably
asking, "What does this have to do with Sunday School?" Well, this
week the lesson covers John 3:16, which thanks in part to Rainbow
Man's work is likely the world's most well-known scripture. Read it,
and study this.

See you all Sunday! And go Jimmer!

Jeff"

No comments:

Post a Comment