Saturday, November 12, 2011

My plea to the Internets

The Oscars have been in the news a lot this week. Producer Brett Ratner quit, and soon after Eddie Murphy dropped out as host. A few days later it was announced that Billy Crystal would host next year's ceremony.

This series of events disappointed me for a number of reasons. For starters, once the spot became open I made it known on Facebook that I was available and willing to host, and I didn't even get a call.

Second, Billy Crystal--seriously? He used to be funny, and he's been an entertaining Oscar host in the past, but he's reached the point where he's too old and not so funny, but he doesn't realize it because people humor him and laugh politely at his jokes because he's so old and nice (this also happens a lot at LDS General Conference).

Finally, I really wanted to see Eddie host. He's been somewhat of a recluse the last 20 years, so it's hard to know if he'd be good or not, but in his prime he was a much better comedian than Chris Rock--and I LOVED Rock's stint hosting the Oscars back in 2005.

In Rock's opening monologue, he made a number of jokes at the expense of Jude Law, prompting a response about two hours later in the broadcast by Sean Penn when Penn came out to present an award. (I actually like Jude Law; he's a typically charming Brit, and I thought he was good in Sherlock Holmes and The Holiday. But the jokes were still very funny.) Penn was utterly humorless, which made his speech completely hilarious. I would gladly link to or embed the video in this post, but I can't find it! The best moment in the 80+ years of the Oscars, and it's nowhere to be found on the Internet! At least by me.

But it's got to be out there somewhere...I'm convinced that everything has been uploaded to the Internet by this point. If anyone can find these clips, and get me the links, I'll love you forever.

The exchange between Rock and Penn also led to perhaps the most passive-aggressive move in world history. The following week, SNL did a "Sean Penn's Celebrity Roast" sketch playing off of Mr. Penn's lack of a funny bone. It was great. So great, that I invited some friends over specifically to watch that sketch off of my VHS tape.

There was a joke made during the sketch that I freely admit was inappropriate. At that exact moment, my roommate walked into the apartment. He paused for a few seconds, heard another off-color joke, then walked back to our bedroom without saying anything. On his way to the back, he picked up a picture of Jesus that stood on the top of our entertainment center and laid it face-down. It was amazing.

Anyway, I can't find that sketch anywhere online either, except on Hulu Plus. I'm hoping someone, anyone, can help me find these videos, so I can share them with others. Your other assignment: read up about a different Jude to get ready for tomorrow's Sunday School class. I'm sure the content of the lesson will allow any pictures of Christ to stay upright.

4 comments:

  1. I too have scoured the internet looking for the Sean Penn clip to link to in one of my Oscar posts...and have NEVER been able to find it! I suspect Penn has a hand in it...

    I loved Rock, too. But HATE Brett Ratner with a fiery passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I found it!
    http://bit.ly/4kb77v

    ReplyDelete
  3. Care to link to the Hulu Plus video? I have HP. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I fell for that! MUERTE!!!!

    Here's the link:

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/201058/saturday-night-live-david-spade

    The sketch starts about 34 minutes into the episode.

    ReplyDelete