Monday, September 12, 2011

Bienvenido a mi Emmy picks

I'm a TV addict, and as such I've been planning for a while to post some Emmy predictions here sometime in the week before the awards ceremony (it's this Sunday). As usual, the "Creative Arts Emmys" were handed out at an untelevised gala the weekend before, but surprisingly, mixed in with all the boring awards for costumes and editing and makeup and sound mixing were a few of the categories I was most interested in.

Futurama beat out The Simpsons, among others, but I'm ok with that because my all-time favorite show has won ten times in the past and is well past its prime. The one that got me was Jeff Probst winning the Emmy for best reality show host. I'm a Survivor fan and will be watching when the new season starts this Wednesday, but how could the voters pick anyone other than Cat Deeley? She's the best in the biz, the anti-Ryan Seacrest. At least now I guess I have another year to meet her and become her date for the 2012 Emmys, when I'm sure this snub will be rectified.

On to my picks!

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

Should Have Been Nominated: I don't really watch dramas now that LOST and 24 are done, so let's say, I don't know, one of the Gossip Girls. The blond one.
Should Win: Kelly Macdonald, because her character is apparently named Margaret Schroeder, and I know someone with that exact name, so this could potentially lead to a real-life "Max Power" scenario.
Will Win: Christina Hendricks, because the Emmy producers want to keep guys like me from changing the channel.

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA

Should Have Been Nominated: Brent Sexton. The Killing was the only TV drama I watched consistently this year, and while the show was mediocre at best, I thought this guy did a good job.
Should Win: Peter Dinklage. That name is awesome.
Will Win: John Slattery. Because he'll probably be seated near Ms. Hendricks.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Should Have Been Nominated: Allison Brie (for her work on Community, not Mad Men)
Should Win: Kristen Wiig
Will Win: Betty White, because she's obviously some sort of unstoppable cyborg.

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Should Have Been Nominated: Nick Offerman and Rob Lowe from Parks and Recreation. Modern Family is a fantastic show, but they have four freakin' nominees in this category, while P and R gets shut out? Unfair.
Should Win: Offerman. What's more deserving of a gold statue than performances like this?
Will Win: Chris Colfer. The four MF guys will split the vote.

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

Should Have Been Nominated: Emily Deschanel, as a reward for convincing her sister Zooey to join the FOX family this fall.
Should Win: Mireille Enos went to BYU and is married to Cameron Frye, but again, The Killing wasn't great. Connie Britton should win.
Will Win: Connie Britton will win, but only because Friday Night Lights is finished.

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA

Should Have Been Nominated: Denis Leary, mainly because he was so good in The Sandlot. (Have I made it clear enough yet that I'm not an expert on this year's Dramas?)
Should Win: Kyle Chandler
Will Win: Jon Hamm (since Dr. Tim Watley is ineligible this year)

LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Should Have Been Nominated: Sofia Vergara (move her up from the "Supporting" category)
Should Win: Amy Poehler
Will Win: Laura Linney (the voters like giving as many awards to the cable shows as they can)

LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Should Have Been Nominated: Joel McHale
Should Win: Louis C.K.
Will Win: Jim Parsons

REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM

Should Have Been Nominated: Celebrity Apprentice. Kidding! Though I wouldn't mind seeing Ivanka Trump on the show this Sunday. Wipeout should have been shown some love.
Should Win: So You Think You Can Dance
Will Win: The Amazing Race

VARIETY, MUSIC OR COMEDY SERIES

Should Have Been Nominated: The Soup
Should Win: The Daily Show
Will Win: The Daily Show. I like Stephen Colbert much more than Jon Stewart, and for years I thought Colbert's show was better too, but for the last season (or two) The Daily Show has been more clever and funny than the Colbert Report. But they're both awesome.

DRAMA SERIES

Should Have Been Nominated: Burn Notice (if only so we can get an answer to this question)
Should Win: Mad Men
Will Win: Mad Men

COMEDY SERIES

Should Have Been Nominated: Community
Should Win: Parks and Recreation (it's the best show on TV right now--if you've never watched it, or gave up after the abbreviated first season, you're really missing out)
Will Win: Modern Family

There you have it. I didn't predict the miniseries categories because I just don't care. Now that you already know what will happen, try to act surprised when they announce the winners this Sunday. Enjoy the show!

1 comment: