Friday, September 23, 2011

Filtered memories

In my last post I mentioned seeing the band Filter embarrass themselves in a Glasgow kilt shop over a decade ago. The time has now come to share that story with the world.

Actually, there's something that has to be done before the time can come...you need to read this post from my old blog to get some background on my missionary companion at that time, Elder McInelly (plus it's a really funny post). Go ahead, I'll wait.

Finished? Great. Ok, here's the story: McInelly and I headed into Glasgow so he could shop for a kilt, because his parents wanted him to get one. He never would've made that decision on his own. Since they weren't there with us to help him choose, he struggled mightily while we were in the store. McInelly was SOOOOOO indecisive. We were there for over two hours (seriously), and he didn't even buy a kilt! He ended up purchasing two semi-expensive blankets, I think mainly because he would've felt guilty being in the store that long without buying anything.

I was bored after about 15 minutes, but luckily at about the 90 minute mark I finally got some entertainment. A group of four Americans, two men and two women, entered the store. (I could tell they were Americans because they spoke very loudly, which allowed me to hear their accents, plus that's what Americans do.) They were in the shop for about 20 minutes, and spent most of that time looking at tacky souvenir items.

The entertainment came when one of the women started looking at kilt belts, and called out to one of the men, "this would look great with your pants." She said it loudly, several times. When Brits say "pants," they are, of course, referring to underwear. The woman should've said "trousers" (actually, I shouldn't assume--maybe the guy likes to accessorize his undies).

I even saw a couple of the store clerks trying to stifle chuckles while this was going on, but they managed to keep a straight face while ringing up their purchases (yes, they completed their shopping before McInelly, even though he had a head start of more than an hour). Probably wise not to insult someone who's about to give you several hundred pounds.

"So are you folks here on vacation?" one of them asked.

"No, we're in a band. Have you ever heard of Filter? We're playing down the street tonight at The Garage."

And that was it. They left the store, and mercifully, we did too a few minutes later. It turns out that story is much more enjoyable to tell (and probably to hear) if I don't give away the ending before I even start. Oh well.

Hey, did you know Filter still tours and stuff? I love the pretentiousness of this description of their most recent album. That's from their official website.

One more thing...I chose to write about this now, because I figured I could relate Filter's song "You Are Gods" to the passages from this week's Sunday School reading on man's status in comparison to God and angels (Hebrews 1-2)...except it seems that song may not exist!

Can anyone help me here? I could have sworn that Filter has a song where the chorus goes "Because you are gods, and I am yours" or something like that. I can't find any evidence of a song with lyrics like this, by Filter or otherwise. The song that I'm thinking of isn't one that I like, but I want to know that I'm not crazy. If you have any idea of what song I'm thinking of, please don't keep me waiting as long as McInelly did.

No comments:

Post a Comment