Friday, September 9, 2011

The Dork Knight

The only time I've taught Sunday School since being released as Sunday School president was a few months ago, when I subbed for the regular teacher and gave a lesson on Christ's atonement.

I started the lesson by using the ending of The Dark Knight as a metaphor for the sacrifice of Jesus. It was admittedly not a perfect metaphor, but it wasn't terrible. If I was teaching this Sunday, I might be tempted to do it again, since Two-Face himself, Aaron Eckhart, once appeared in a video based on the concept of "godly sorrow" featured in this week's reading (2 Cor. 7:9-10):



My favorite line from the video is the girl saying "But I'm not with that guy anymore!" (not featured in the above excerpt), but Eckhart's "What about the pain?" is not bad.

I also like that the very next verse after the godly sorrow passage says "what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge!" Pretty Harvey Dent-ian, wouldn't you say? You're welcome, this week's teachers.

On a related note, can I say how much I love the Internet? I found the above video in seconds. I linked to Johnny Lingo in my last post. YouTube also has the "prime the pump" video, "spiritual crocodiles," "I'll Build You a Rainbow" and many others that remind me of my childhood and adolescence.

Most importantly, The Phone Call can be watched in its entirety online! Oh, and if it wasn't for the Internet, I probably wouldn't be aware of these clips:





Usually, when I end a post by asking a question, it's a cheap ploy to get comments, but this time I really want to know: who's your favorite Mormon celebrity, either real (like Eckhart or Rick Schroeder) or imagined (Steve Martin, Snoop Dogg)? And which seminary-ish Mormon short film is your all-time favorite?

(My apologies to the one or two non-Mormons who follow my blog...hope you didn't feel too excluded here.)

2 comments:

  1. 10,000 internet points for such an awesome post! Your hard work is not in vain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I had to come home and watch those videos again without the Olympic interruptions we had last evening. Wow. Wow. Like was something just sitting around thinking--how can I teach the principle of "change of heart." Oh, I know--lets show him becoming friends with a bear because we want them to liken this into their own lives.

    Favorite seminary video is Armor of God. My mom was the teacher and we'd always ask if we could watch it.

    Hands down easiest song to make fun of from a Seminary Soundtrack would be Emily my Friend. Though I feel a bit bad for LDS girls named Emily because well...I've sung it to more than one Emily and I don't think it's because I'm super creative. So I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has done that. But really Emily is my friend and is partner in many dreams...

    ReplyDelete